Bending Chi Changes

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MechaSerpent, May 14, 2020.

?

Do you support these changes to help the overall bending state?

1. Yes

2. I support most of these.

3. No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MechaSerpent

MechaSerpent Member

My suggestion is to properly balance Chi in order to reduce its flaw of range by increasing mobility and nerf its high intensity close quarters combat.

I've suggested this due to the inbalance Chi has going against various elements. For example when the matchup is Chi vs. Air, air is the superior choice due to its ability to spout camp, airburst, airblast, and airsweep the enemy back. However, a Chi vs Earth matchup is in favor of Chi due to Earth lacking enough tools (Only earthsurf and mudsurge) to stay away from Chi. This playstyle of running away from a Chi's ability to deliver a fatal attack (8 hearts - instakill) holds inbalance since elements vary in tools they can use to keep Chibenders away. It is also unfair to the Chibenders if they go against a bender who has many tools to keep Chi away. In order to solve this I've proposed a list of changes to Chi below.

The only negative aspect about my suggestion is that it forces Chibenders to use mobility in order to finish off an enemy with a 2nd combo.

The good thing about my suggestion is it solves the problem of range Chibenders face, and allows a better opportunity for elements that have less tools to survive a Chi attack.

This suggestion can be achieved if the community helps support the changes below.

Changes
    ------------
    Paralyze - 10s CD -> 8s CD

Jab - .5 dmg (3 Right Clicks/1.5 dmg Total) -> .5 dmg (2 Right Clicks /1 dmg Total) 3s CD -> 5s CD
    NOTE: For ChiblockingJab change the duration from 3s to 1.75s.

Rapid Punch - Unaltered dmg 6s CD -> 5s CD

Backstab - 3 dmg -> 2 dmg 8s CD -> 6.5s CD

Daggerthrow - .5 dmg (6 clicks/ 3 dmg Total) -> .5 dmg (3 Clicks/ 1.5 dmg Total) 3s CD -> 1.5s CD
    NOTE: The DPS (Damage per second) of this move is the same it is just to prevent massive damage in a Jab combo.

Flyingkick - 2.5 dmg -> 1.5 5s CD -> 3.5s CD

High jump (Directional) - 5s CD -> 3s CD

High jump (Up) - Unchanged CD
    NOTE: Double the height to increase vertical range.

Smokescreen - 25s CD -> 15s CD
    NOTE: Change duration from 11s to 8s

Shadow Suit- 4s CD -> 7s CD
    NOTE: Change duration from 30s to 10s

Combat Roll - 6s CD -> 3.5s CD

Acrobatstance - Change Jump III to Jump IV

Ninjastance - Change Jump IV to Jump II. Change Speed II to Speed IV. Dmg Changes occur for the following in Ninja Stance ALL OTHERS REMAIN THE SAME AS LISTED ABOVE. Backstab [2 dmg -> 1.5 dmg], Flyingkick [1.5 dmg -> 1]

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. MechaSerpent

MechaSerpent Member

Do notice the reduced CD on Flyingkick and buffs to Highjump, Acrobatstance, and Ninjastance, to catch your enemy. :D

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. RedTheRed

RedTheRed New Member

(Rakasuki) I agree with these changes but I feel many chi mains will argue against due to them liking and "abusing" the instant kill or close to an instant kill

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. escqnor

escqnor Member

Big +1, I'd always thought chi was unbalanced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Apheri

Apheri Active Member

Chi blocking is an ancient technique that has been practiced in secret for centuries. Blocking someone's chi renders the victim's muscles useless and temporarily disables a bender's abilities. It is mainly used by nonbenders as a way of self-defense or even to attack.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    • Cookie Cookie x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Neo_Dragon1

Neo_Dragon1 New Member

I like most of the ideas, I just find the change to smokescreen to be a bit unbalanced.
    The blindness it gives off already last 11 seconds, so unless the duration of smokescreen is changed it would be quite unbalanced overall

Additionally there is still an issue of chi blocking. While the suggestions may mitigate some of the issues with insta killing with chi. Chi blocking can allow a chi player to still kill an opponent even if they survive the initial paralyze with little to no resistance.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. MechaSerpent

MechaSerpent Member

Due to concerns from multiple people ingame, the duration for Smokescreen is reduced by 3s.

8. hairyuun

hairyuun New Member

being a chi main myself, i absolutely agree with these changes and alternatives since i feel like people don't need to acquire practising chi blocking unlike other elements or even gain basic skill with chi at the moment because its so easy to pick up 1-shot combos really quickly and due to this, 1 vs 1's can SOMETIMES be unfair to other players and just be overall annoying or abusive

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Coldcall

Coldcall New Member

I'm not so sure about the cooldowns per se, but I do know that people good at chi know how to keep your chi blocked the entire time they're attacking you after they paralyze you. I think that chiblock effects either shouldn't last as long as they do or shouldn't stack if they do from certain moves. I should have at least one window of redemption after paralyzed and hit with follow-ups

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Cybs

Cybs Member

Ok first and foremost. Shadowsuit should just get removed. meme.

Backstab should deal at least 2 hearts but regardless backstab can only be hit from the back obviously so this 'nerf' is not that necessary.

AcrobatStance is fine it does not need a nerf

I agree with flyingkick

rapidpunch is fine

paralyze is fine

maybe a 4.5 second cooldown on combatroll

Dagger throw should hurl 4 daggers and have possible a 5 second cooldown

highjump is fine.

and just reduce ninjastance jump.

Reduce smokescreen duration not cd.

And jab is just a bugged move anyways there's something about it that isn't right but I agree with the damage reduction of jab.

Your changes are interesting but they essentially make chi easier to counter than it already is.

11. MechaSerpent

MechaSerpent Member

Backstab does 2. Acrobatstance and ninjastance are getting buffed. Smokescreen is getting buffed for being the most unused move. Jab is only 'bugged' because the duration is 3s and the cd is 3s so this will fix it. Also I left dagger throw stronger than you suggested in order to combat air and water. Also combatroll is less because everyone hates fd.

12. Billiah

Billiah New Member

Hello, my name is Billie

Btw, Mecha forced me to vote smh :(

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  13. PhanaticD

PhanaticD Owner Staff Member

these are now live on korra arena for testing, please come to a consensus if everyone wants this within a few days then we can either revert or keep it and put in on main bending too

• Like Like x 1
  14. 8BitSummoner

8BitSummoner New Member

Most of these seem pretty reasonable, but I'm curious as to your reasons behind the changes to Shadow Suit. Those are pretty intense nerfs to a move that a fair amount of "one-shot" Chi Blockers don't use.

15. Lubdan

Lubdan Member

These are awesome. +1 for keeping!

16. Apheri

Apheri Active Member

all that I can gather from people testing is that they like to form their opinions after 30 seconds of playing. Seems people think they're interesting at the very least.

17. ultimatebrucelee

ultimatebrucelee New Member

+1
    The changes are a little weird but I definatley can get used to them. I love the new cd's for most of the moves.

18. Winterful

Winterful New Member

Finally shadow suit got nerfed +1

19. Cybs

Cybs Member

Only thing I would change after testing these live is the high jump height. I suggest it being reduced by 25% so that's it's high enough and also if anyone happens to click it when CombatRoll is on cd they will take less fall damage because a lot of people can atest to disliking fall damage.

20. PhanaticD

PhanaticD Owner Staff Member

these changes will be on main bending server next daily restart

• Cookie Cookie x 1