Bending FireJet Dynamic Improvements

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Xelaura, Apr 30, 2019.

?

Should FireJet be reworked?

1. Yes! (Agree with suggested changes)

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Yes, but reworked differently.

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. No! (No changes wanted)

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Meh, no opinion.

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Xelaura

Xelaura Member

- My Suggestion -
    FireJet gets a dynamic cooldown like the AirShield ability. With increased max duration, but increased cooldown to go with that. JetBlaze and JetBlast increased aswell, but not with dynamic cooldowns.
    (No changes to FireSki at all.)

FireJet:​
    Duration: From 2.8s to 10s.
    Cooldown: From 7s to Dynamic 20s. (2 seconds of cooldown for each second of FireJet used.)
    JetBlaze:​
    Cooldown: From 15s to 20s.
    JetBlast:​
    Cooldown: From 6s to 20s.
    Duration: From 5s to 10s.

From what I understand about AirShield's dynamic cooldown. It has a 7 second cooldown with a max duration of 6.5 seconds, the cooldown is applied when AirShield ends, and any unused duration is subtracted from the cooldown.
    If that's the case, what i'm suggesting for FireJet is a cooldown of 20 seconds, max duration of 10 seconds, cooldown applied when FireJet ends, for each second of unused duration, 2 seconds are taken from the cooldown.

- The Reason -
    Recently I believe quite a few suggestions have been made to nerf charged Firebender attacks since they're powerful when used in conjunction with FireJet, I believe FireJet should instead be reworked to alleviate this slightly OP synergy, rather than nerfing Fire's attacks, which Fire should have powerful attacks.

A basic increase to cooldown would solve this however it would cause a larger issue of Firebender's being unable to avoid fall damage. What i'm suggesting allows FireJet to be used in small bursts plenty to avoid fall damage, but that using it to a larger extent in combat to charge attacks more evasively would now come with a risk of being unable to avoid fall damage for a time, giving a balanced downside to these tactics.

JetBlaze and JetBlast with increased cooldowns to match FireJet's new balanced, I feel JetBlast could use an increased duration though to match this aswell, however they do no need a dynamic cooldown themselves as they trigger and depend on FireJet's cooldown directly, so that should serve for that purpose very well.

FireSki can't be multitasked with other abilities and so is unrelated to these points and can be left unchanged.

- Positives -
    Hopefully this will solve unbalanced issues with attacks being overly used with FireJet, also increasing the strategy behind the use of FireJet as an ability, overall, without really buffing or nerfing the ability by itself.
    Note with this suggestion, if you use FireJet for 3 seconds, it'll get a cooldown of 6 seconds, which is infact slightly better than the current FireJet, so a slight buff, but can quickly become a large disadvantage for a greedy Firebender if they can't keep control.

- Negatives -
    This may make it riskier for Firebenders to pursue fleeing opponents, as over using FireJet becomes a disadvantage.
    However a fleeing opponent is likely not a threat anyway if they're fleeing, so this shouldn't cause too much of an issue.
    (This may be a rather large change, but I believe it's a very good one.)

- Implementation -
    BendingConigs / projectkorra config.yml: (Line 1119 to 1232)
    FireJet:​
    Duration: 10000 (From 2800)
    Cooldown: 20000 (From 7000)
    (Dynamic cooldown applied at the end of FireJet, where the cooldown equals twice the duration spent.)
    JetBlaze:​
    Cooldown: 20000 (From 15000)
    JetBlast:​
    Cooldown: 20000 (From 6000)
    Duration: 10000 (From 5000)

2. Apheri

Apheri Active Member

I'd like to hear some more responses from more-experienced firebenders before I come to an opinion. But I can say that any rework which gives the user more control and promotes good decision making is a plus for me. Very neat idea and i'd like for it to at least be discussed more

• Like Like x 1
  3. Timtamtatious

Timtamtatious Member

An interesting change, this leaves fire much more vulnerable when firejet/combos run out. Could potentially make the fire playstyle a lot more disliked where they rush for an extended duration then run off and snipe with fireshots, fireball etc until cooldown is done, since they are very vulnerable during that time.

It is pretty stupid fireblast doing 2 hearts 1.5 second cooldown, and jetblaze doing 2.5-3 hearts, so they can easily kill in one jetblaze. I like that your change promotes using jetblaze less and trying to change a move instead of straight up nerfing it. I thought replacing fireski with firedrive (short duration) it having its own cooldown and then increasing duration of firejet.

4. Xelaura

Xelaura Member

Bump.

5. Shad7860

Shad7860 Member

I like this idea alot. As long as the player knows what theyre doing, this change would largely go unnoticed by them. Because they never actually use a full firejet.. Or at least I dont.

+1 from me

• Agree Agree x 1