Increase your FPS on Minecraft!

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by TurtlesAreHot, Mar 3, 2019.

1. TurtlesAreHot

TurtlesAreHot Well-Known Member

Hello! Gonna get right into this, the point of this tutorial is to help you get better fps. There are some obvious things and some that are not as obvious as other methods are.

If you do not know what FPS is, it means frames per second and is basically how fast your game runs. The higher it is the better. Anything above 60 fps is good and smooth on the game.

I'm going to get the obvious stuff out of the way first. I want to also point out that you may have already known about all of this but there are people out there that actually don't know about some of these things.

1. Get optifine. This is so obvious and something you should definitely get if you are having problems with FPS. Optifine improves FPS a lot for some people, however for some others it might not improve it as much. Make sure you click on the download button when you get to it and not some ad. Also if it takes you to adfly when downloading it do not download anything from there, look for a skip button and wait for the timer to be done. While downloading it make sure not to download a virus like a certain someone did *cough cough* @Haliiii *cough cough*

2. Change your settings. Changing your settings for better performance is one of the best ways to increase your FPS. If you have optifine you will have way more control over what you can change to make it run faster. Here are a few things that you could change to improve fps:

Most of this is in: Esc > Options > Video Settings

- Change Graphics in video settings to Fast.

- Change Smooth Lighting to off.

- Change Smooth lighting level to 0%

- Change Dynamic Lights to off.
    - In details:
    - Change clouds to off. (Very helpful for FPS).

- Change trees to fast.

- Change sky to off.

- Change sun & moon to off.

- Change fog to off.

- Change translucent blocks to fast.

- Change dropped items to fast.

- Change Rain & Snow to off.

- Change Stars to off

- Change Entity shadows to off.
    - In Animations click on "All off"

- Change render distance to 2-10 (will help a lot highly suggest you don't have it too high)

- Change View bobbing to off.

- Change VBOs to on.
    - In quality:
    - Change minimap levels to off (might lag you a lot when you change it at first)

- Change anisotropic filtering to off.

- Change better grass to off.

- Change Custom fonts to off.

- Change custom sky to off.

- Change Custom Entity Models to off.

- Change Mipmap Type to nearest.

- Change antialiasing to off. Might require you to restart your game.

- Change random entities to off.

- Change better snow to off.

- Change custom colors to off.

- Change custom items to off.

- Change custom guis to off.
    - In performance:
    - Change smooth FPS to on.

- Change fast render to on.

- Change chunk updates to 1.

- Change smooth world to on.

- Change fast math to on.
    - In other:
    - Change weather to off.

- Change debug profiler to off.

This is a lot of the stuff I recomend that you change to get a better performance on minecraft. Your fps should increase a lot from most of this if you have not already done it. If something in the settings was not listed here it is either 'cause I do not know if it would increase or help your fps in any way, or I know it does not matter and it's prefrence if you want it on or not.

3. I also want to talk about being in full screen. With **SOME** graphics cards, it is better to be in full screen and will increase your FPS. However for some it makes it worse. For this you can test to see if you are getting more fps in one or the other.

4. You can also make the game run a bit faster by making it smaller on the screen. Basically making the application smaller will increase your FPS a little bit. I personally think this isn't really worth the extra FPS you get, but some may say otherwise.

5. Get a good fps texture pack. Best bet is to look one up on youtube or google. If you don't want to get a new texture pack for FPS, more than likely the best option for good fps is Minecraft's default texture pack.

6. Turn off sound. Yes you are reading this right. Turning off sound CAN increase your FPS. Now it doesn't increase it too much, however it can make a little bit of a difference. Turning off sounds helps your CPU focus on other things, like the game which in return would make it a little bit faster. (Yes I know it sounds crazy). On very low-end computers that have a lot of trouble running minecraft, if you turn off sound your FPS will increase a lot.

7. My final tip for you all, is to get a better computer or upgrade your computer. Yes this is obvious but this is just over all the best way to increase your FPS. Upgrading your PC will help a lot with getting better FPS. Remember that Minecraft is CPU intensive, which means that it uses your computers CPU a lot to run the game. This means upgrading your CPU will help a lot too, not just upgrading your graphics card.

If I missed anything or you have learned another way to increase FPS that isn't on here please point it out and I will add it to the list of things you can do to make it faster. I hope this helped you get more FPS on Minecraft :D

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    • Cookie Cookie x 1
  2. PhanaticD

PhanaticD Owner Staff Member

my personal input: turn off clouds those are a big impact, and set view distance to 6 (most servers are 6 or lower)

• Like Like x 1
    • Cookie Cookie x 1
  3. TFORTNT

TFORTNT Member

This is all great but if you want to improve your fps the most, just buy a $10,000 dollar computer and only download Minecraft on it and then also do these things like optifine. That’s sure to get your FPS improved in no time.

4. Sirrawth

Sirrawth Well-Known Member

FastCraft (not the crafting plugin) helps as well if you're really desperate although it makes more difference on modded I think. Also are there really computers that struggle this much to run minecraft above 60 fps???

5. TurtlesAreHot

TurtlesAreHot Well-Known Member

Already noted in the thread:

But yes you are correct. The best way to increase FPS is by getting a better computer or just upgrading your computer so it can handle it better. Some people however cannot afford doing this and just have to deal with what they have. So for them, a lot of these other options would be a good way to increase their FPS.

Most certainly. My old laptop had/has terrible FPS. Not everyone has a really nice computer ya know. I even have problems on my gaming PC sometimes. Usually when I am on bending however as it is very laggy from all the particles (and I refuse to turn them off).

I have bolded turning off clouds (which is in the details spoiler) as I have realized how much of a difference it made in game for me and looking up information about it.

6. Creeper_Cheetah

Creeper_Cheetah Member

I had a 6 year old windows 8. It started off good for about 3-4 years. the rest of the 2 years of using it, it sucked. Optifine improved the FPS but the ping was just awful. (My wifi was fine). So Sirrawth, not all computers run great fps. don't assume we all have ibuypowers or those thousand dollar pc's. (not ragin at you.)

7. Besett

Besett Active Member

Help, my gaming chair brings my FPS down any tips?

• Cookie Cookie x 2
  8. TFORTNT

TFORTNT Member

Just buy AirPods besett and subscribe to pewdiepie, that will increase your FPS

• Cookie Cookie x 1
  9. Creeper_Cheetah

Creeper_Cheetah Member

gaming chairs are chairs. I could say my chair that I use for gaming, is a gaming chair. Unless your gaming chair is connected to the computer (in which when you rock back and forth, or twist side to side to increase FPS) then unfortunately gaming chairs do not improve FPS.

• Cookie Cookie x 1