Bending Lightning Improvement

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Xelaura, Feb 26, 2019.

?

Improve Lightning?

Poll closed Mar 26, 2019.
  1. Yes! Energize it!

66.7%
  2. No! Leave it be!

20.0%
  3. Meh. Why am I here.

13.3%
  1. Xelaura

Xelaura Member

Why do we need this? or What made you post this suggestion?
    Lightning is currently quite under used, despite being such a powerful attack in the series.
    It requires a charge-up to deal the same small amount of damage as quite a few other moves like AirSlash that don't require such a charge, AirSlash is also directable where Lightning is not. Lightning can stun things though but it's only a 20% chance, hardly something to count on or expect when using it, and the arc chance of it only helps if you're outnumbered, but doesn't really help in a standard fight.

What is your suggestion?

I suggest that Lightning be buffed, currently it has atleast half the range of AirSlash, and Lightning being a powerful almost sniping move should definately have atleast double it's current range, and also it may be a very interesting idea to change it's stun chance to around 80% but reduce the stun duration from 30 to 5, to make it something you can more strategically count on, although less powerful stun. Also in the series it Was shown to be a deadly move, I suggest it's damage be increased to atleast 4 hearts, however it should then have a cooldown added of maybe 5 seconds to keep it's DPS in check.

(Also the configs under IceWall seem to suggest Lightning should be able to break it, but it can't.
    Fixing that so Lightning can break IceWall would be nice too.
    (IceWall: MaxHealth: 12. LightningDamage: 12)
    Tested quite a few times with different benders casting Lightning against different IceWalls, Lightning did nothing to it. However IceWall times out by itself only after a few seconds.
    BendingConfigs/jedcore config.yml: Line 756)

What are the possible negative aspects of your suggestion?
    The bad thing about this suggestion is it's a number of changes to the move, some people may not like the basic rework of the ability stats kinda, and some people may be annoyed with it's new power.

What are the positive aspects of your suggestion?
    The good thing about this suggestion is the ability may be used a standard amount again, and will be closer to how it was in the series, and closer to expectation of the move Lightning.

How can this suggestions be achieved on the server?
    This can be done through configs:
    BendingConfigs/projectkorra config.yml: (Line: 1164)

Damage: 8.0 (Currently/Was 4.0)
    Range: 40.0 (Currently/Was 20.0)
    Cooldown: 5000 (Currently/Was 500)
    StunChance: 0.8 (Currently/Was 0.2)
    StunDuration: 5 (Currently/Was 30)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  2. Apheri

Apheri Active Member

While I agree lightning needs a buff, we have to be careful not to overtune it. It already has a long range with high damage and nice utility, having both the stun chance, duration, damage, and range buffed is not a good idea. The stun itself even at old lightning stun time would be more than enough time to kill someone with fire's dps especially when you consider that people will primarily be using the move once they charge it on a jet and will more than likely be close enough to hit it and be close range to burst them down once the stun connects.

Even if the stun wasn't a factor, jetblaze damage + a 6 heart lightning is enough to kill someone excluding any other move. Paired up with a 150% increase to the already very good range is far, far too much for one move, even with a large cooldown.

Giving fire any form of a stun is too dangerous for balancing, a small stun that doesn't last long enough to capitalize, but long enough to kill momentum and prevent channeling moves is already a very fair effect for its stun chance.

I'd suggest not going crazy by giving already-overtuned firebenders ranged immobilizes, I like the cooldown change as the current extremely low cooldown is not a strength, as the times a firebender would wish to use lightning in a fight are few and far between. 4 hearts of damage is already very solid for a ranged move of lightning's variety. I would suggest only increasing the range to 30.0 and perhaps taking a look at the charge-up time or projectile speed if possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Faurash

Faurash Member

I quite like the idea of it being able to stun people more effectively, that would make up for a lot of the lack of damage that's currently making it quite unused, so just that would possibly already be an effective buff.
    Though i would also quite like to see it being able to break icewall again, that was always a fun mechanic and interactions between moves are cool.

4. Xelaura

Xelaura Member

I didn't suggest increasing the stun duration, I suggested decreasing it into only to a third of what it was, and it was already only like a second, so that the stun no longer gives time for the user to actually make use of the stun time but rather the stun just interupts the person slightly in combat, a very minor stun, an interupt move, to compensate for the increased stun chance to make it more reliable.

It currently has the same range as FireBlast(Not charged), I think that definately needs a buff Atleast double to 40. But 50 would be nice making it the same as FireShots, Fireball or FireComet. Also it's not as fast travelling as say FireBall, and requires a charge-up making it easier to dodge at longer ranges.

And I suggested increasing the cooldown to compensate for the increased damage, to make it more like in the series.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  5. Xelaura

Xelaura Member

bump

There may have been some confusion about what changes i'm suggesting specifically. For the purpose of making the move more like seen in the series while preserving it's current balance:

Damage increase. - - - - - (Buff) From 2 hearts to 4 hearts.
    Range increase. - - - - - - -(Buff) From 20 blocks to 40 blocks.
    Cooldown increase. - - - - (Nerf) From half a second to 5 seconds.
    StunChance increase. - - (Buff) From 20% chance to 80% chance.
    StunDuration decrease. - (Nerf) From about 1 second to... A very small fraction of a second.

So the Damage and Cooldown changes should balance out to make the move more like seen in the series.

And the Stun Related changes should balance out for a simply more strategically dependable move, which helps both the user and opponent in understanding what it will do in a fight, rather than it being simply chaotic. (Lightning was descrived as being a more precise version of Firebending I believe, but it's hardly so in bending.)

Which just leaves the Range as being the major balance change to the move that i'm suggesting. Which I believe, since the move is rarely used and I think it's quite underpowered, could definately use the range increase, as it only really has medium range in the game, and I feel like charged lightning should really have higher than average range for that.

My current suggestion:
    Damage: 8.0
    (Currently/Was 4.0 in configs)
    Range: 40.0 (Currently/Was 20.0 in configs)
    Cooldown: 5000 (Currently/Was 500 in configs)
    StunChance: 0.8 (Currently/Was 0.2 in configs)
    StunDuration: 5 (Currently/Was 30 in configs)

(BendingConfigs/projectkorra config.yml: Line: 1164)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Faurash

Faurash Member

Definitely this, lightning is currently really underused. Lightningburst sees decent use, discharge occasionally, but lightning very rarely. None of them are particularly common, though.

7. Ivaro

Ivaro Member

+1,
    Lightning is very underused, which is a shame considering it’s nice particle effects and the use in the series.

What i do think tho, maybe decrease the chargeup?

8. Faurash

Faurash Member

I'd be happy to try out Xelaura's suggestions, they seem pretty cool. And the suggestions are good, too.

9. Xelaura

Xelaura Member

Well, it's charge-up is already only 2.5 seconds, which I think is fine. Middle-ground charge-up length, which matches the series demonstrations also I think.

10. Ivaro

Ivaro Member

Oh, been a while since i last used it.
    Then I fully agree with it.

11. PhanaticD

PhanaticD Owner Staff Member

seems like a fair suggestion to me, i will do it and it will be enabled after next server restart

• Like Like x 2
  12. Xelaura

Xelaura Member

So it was added to the server, and quite a lot of people have started using it for a bit, which was nice and fun, however I very quickly noticed it's often doing 5 hearts of damage, which is a bit much compared to my suggested 4 hearts. But the configs say it's 4 hearts...

So, I did a bunch of testing of Lightning configs by myself to try and understand where the extra damage is coming from, and although i'm pretty sure I understand what all the Lightning configs do now including all the arc related stuffs. I don't know why it's doing an extra heart of damage.

Regardless, it shouldn't be doing more damage than LightningBurst and I suggest dropping the damage down by 1.

Configs:
    Damage: 7.0 (From 8)

Even at that setting I found the damage Lightning does to actually be kinda random, but it's generally around 4 or 4.5 hearts at that setting, which should be ok.

---​

Another thing, Faurash had the idea of people being given the glow effect for about 1 second when hit by lightning, as this would be incredibly fitting; If it can be implemented, it would be pretty awesome. A brief light blue glow like when Zuko was hit by Azula's lightning.

13. Faurash

Faurash Member

This basically, but Xelaura noted it was also kinda doing glowy stuff in the series with sparks covering their body.
    If it's not too much effort to add, it would be a really cool addition.

Attached Files:

14. PhanaticD

dropped it down by one for next restart

• Like Like x 2
  15. ThisIsOllie

ThisIsOllie Member

The new lightning’s range is too long and does loads of damage. Please nerf it :/

16. Faurash

Faurash Member

I mean, that's kinda what it was like in the series too. They had a whole arc around it.
    Still i can see the range being nerfed by like 5 blocks or so? That might fix it. Damage is fine now i think, if anything no more than half a heart less.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Xelaura

Xelaura Member

I'd much rather keep the range on the move than the damage. And the damage is rather random at the moment, but I guess it should probably be lowered by 1 again, that would make it generally deal around 3 hearts of damage, which would make it match other moves of similar charge-times in the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. PhanaticD

k lowered it to 6 from 7

• Like Like x 3